Vegan Paella! A healthy plant-based and gluten-free dinner. Packed with vegetables and a fragrant saffron-broth, this vegan paella is a must make!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (8 oz.) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 red peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain white rice (see note)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- pinch salt (will depend on how salty your broth is)
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- In a paella pan or large, shallow sauté’ pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, red pepper, and roasted red pepper to the pan and let brown and reduce, about 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, garlic, tomato, saffron, paprika, cayenne pepper and let cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, another 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add the rice, vegetable broth and stir once. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Don’t touch! Once your stir it all together, trust that it will come together. Stirring is for risotto, not paella.
- Top with chopped parsley and sliced lemons!
Short-grain white rice is the best here. I often use Arborio (the same rice as I use in risotto) for this.
Keywords: vegan, gluten-free, spanish, dinner, paella