Since BL and I are usually the sole vegetarians at most friends and family cookouts, I always prepare some type of main dish for us to enjoy. That way, I know we’ll have at least one delicious option with bonus points for other salads and vegetable-friendly platters.
This arugula, white bean and roasted potato salad does double duty. A hearty, plant-based main for us and a delicious side-dish for everyone else. Simple to put together and packed with protein and fiber, it’s the perfect dish for any type of gathering.
Isn’t the color of this salad just gorgeous? I love the combination of roasted blue potatoes, arugula, white beans and a creamy balsamic dressing. For this potato salad, I’m using The Little Potato Company’s Something Blue Creamer potatoes. While I’m a fan of ALL of their potato varieties, Something Blue has a unique, beautiful contrast of colors – yellow flesh with purple streaks and blue skin. Perfect for potato salads.
This one tastes great warm or at room-temperature, so feel free to make it in advance for a party or enjoy as-is. If you’re planning on making it ahead of time, combine everything together and then add the dressing and arugula at the last minute. That way, the arugula won’t wilt too much.
What is resistant starch?
Have you heard about resistant starch? It’s unique to a few carbohydrates, cooled potatoes being one of them.
Resistant starch is, in basic terms, starch that resists digestion. It functions similar to soluble fiber, improving insulin sensitivity, lowering blood sugar levels and reducing appetite.
It enters the small intestine undigested, eventually reaching the colon where it provides food for good gut bacteria. Most food that we eat feeds about 10% of our gut bacteria, but fermentable fibers and resistant starches feed the other 90%. (It’s also why I’m NOT a fan of low-carb, low-fiber diets- how are you going to feed your gut!?)
When our gut bacteria digest resistant starches, they form several compounds including short-chain fatty acids, most notably butyrate, the preferred fuel of cells in your colon. Bottom line– resistant starch feeds friendly gut bacteria and feeds the cells in the colon by increasing the amount of butyrate.
That’s all to say, please stop fearing the potato. Especially the cooked and cooled potato, which has higher amounts of resistant starch. I was talking to a friend the other day and he told me that he avoided potatoes, as they usually increase weight gain.
And while that might be true for french fried potatoes (the way most Americans eat potatoes), that’s not true for other preparations. In fact, eating foods with resistant starch (like this potato salad) increases feelings of fullness and decreases meal caloric intake.
What’s that you say? You can’t wait to dive into this amazing arugula, white bean and roasted Little Potato salad because it not only looks good but it may also help with weight loss and better gut health? Me too my friend, me too.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Arugula, White Bean and Roasted Potato Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
Arugula, White Bean and Roasted Potato Salad. Looking for a healthy salad that's PACKED with plant-based protein? Try this potato salad. Roasted blue potatoes, quinoa, beans, almonds and a balsamic dressing.
- 1 (1.5 lb.) bag The Little Potato Company, Something Blue Variety
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 8 cups arugula (or other heartier, leafy greens. Shredded kale would work!)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Halve the blue Little Potatoes, then toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes until tender. Remove and let cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the quinoa and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand an additional 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- When ready to assemble, whisk together the vinegar, garlic, dijon mustard and generous pinch salt and pepper in a small jar or container. Continue to whisk, slowly drizzling in the olive oil until a creamy dressing forms.
- Combine everything together in a large bowl and add the dressing. Toss, season to taste as needed, and serve.
Courses side dish, main, salad
Cuisine American, Gluten-Free, Vegan