Blood Orange and Roasted Beet Salad with walnut dressing! This winter salad is so delicious, you’ve gotta try it! Vegetarian, easily vegan and gluten-free.
I’ve had a giant basket of these gorgeous blood oranges staring back at me for the past few days. After spying them last weekend at the market, I scooped up a bag hoping that creative recipe juices would flow from them to me. Produce osmosis, if you will.
How do I highlight these juicy, magenta fruits? Deeper in both color and flavor than a traditional orange, these deserve the royal treatment. After consulting my food-pairings bible, I brainstormed a list of yogurt bowls, cocktails and desserts when lunch-time came calling.
Having very little patience to create anything new, I threw together various ingredients in the fridge and pantry: leftover roasted beets, spinach, butter lettuce, avocado (always avocado), a little feta and a quick walnut dressing. Oh, and some sliced blood oranges for good measure. Maybe actually eating the fruit would fire up some much needed recipe jo-jo.
And then I took that first bite. And then another. And another. And before I could finish the bowl, I was slicing up more avocado and oranges for the next go around. Forget the fancy desserts and blood orange infused drinks, this salad was an instant winner. I say this often because it’s true, beautiful, nourishing food doesn’t always have to be so complicated. It’s one of the first lessons I teach to improve your Kitchen Confidence: start with delicious food and you will have delicious food.
I’ve eaten this salad for the past three days in a row, and it’s just as appealing as it was the first time. Texture lovers, you are going to love this one. Creamy avocado, tart oranges, tangy feta, I could go on and on. Thankfully, I don’t need to. The pictures are much better at telling the story. For a healthy, nutrient-dense packed lunch, start here. Bonus points that it stars pretty-in-pink beets and oranges; perfect for any upcoming Valentine’s day lunch or dinner.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!
Blood Orange and Roasted Beet Salad
Yield 4 salads
Blood Orange and Roasted Beet Salad with walnut dressing! This winter salad is so delicious, you've gotta try it! Vegetarian, easily vegan and gluten-free
- 1 lb. beets, scrubbed clean
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 4 cups torn butter lettuce leaves
- 4 blood oranges, peeled (serve either as segments, chopped, or thinly sliced)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup feta
- Walnut Dressing:
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly rub olive oil over the beets and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Wrap in aluminum foil and roast for 45-60 minutes, depending on the size of your beets. Remove from oven, let cool slightly and gently rub off the skin using your fingers or a paper towel.
- Cube and set aside.
- Toss the spinach and butter lettuce leaves together and divide among 4 bowls. Divide the remaining ingredients among the bowls: chopped avocado, blood oranges, beets and feta.
- Finely chop the walnuts and place in a small bowl along with the thyme leaves, lemon juice and minced garlic clove.
- Drizzle in the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salads and serve immediately.