Looking for a simple butternut squash soup recipe? This slow cooker butternut squash soup is perfect for Autumn! Squash, apples, onion, carrots simmered for hours then pureed with creamy coconut milk. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 granny smith apple, roughly chopped (see notes)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt/pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- scant 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk
- Heat the olive oil a medium sauce pan, then add in onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until softened. Add the apple, squash, carrots and spices and cook another 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. I do this in my Instant Pot so I can use the saute function, then switch to slow-cooker setting. Browning the vegetables first really gives so much more flavor and it’s worth it!
- If you aren’t doing this in a Slow-Cooker/Saute combo, then transfer to the base of a slow cooker and add the vegetable broth. Turn the slow cooker on and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Before serving, transfer the contents of the slow-cooker to a blender and puree with coconut milk or add the coconut milk directly to the slow cooker and use an immersion blender to puree.
Granny Smith apples are tart and can’t be replaced; other apples don’t work the same way.
Keywords: butternut squash slow cooker