Eggplant Lentil Bolognese! You’ve gotta try this vegan and gluten-free pasta sauce, so hearty and full of plant-based protein. Roasted eggplant, homemade sauce and lentils.
- 1 medium-large Italian globe eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked brown or green lentils
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- Cooked pasta or polenta, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Rub the eggplant with some of the olive oil and place on a baking sheet. Roast until very tender, about 1-1 1/2 hours. The skin should easily peel off and the insides creamy.
- When the eggplant is 20-30 minutes to being done, heat the remaining olive oil in a large dutch oven or stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots and salt. Cook until vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes. Add in garlic, oregano and thyme.
- Add the wine and cook until wine is reduced by at least half and sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Add in the tomato paste and cook again until thickened.
- Peel the eggplant flesh and scoop out the flesh. Roughly chop, if needed, and add that to the pot along with the cooked lentils and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened and cooked together, about 1 hour. Season as needed adding in more salt if desired. Before serving, stir in basil and enjoy.
- Serving Size: 1/6th sauce recipe
- Calories: 267
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 650 mg
- Fat: 5.7 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 11 g
- Protein: 12 g