Fall Fattoush Salad! Kale salad tossed with sliced apples, juicy grapes, maple-mustard dressing and topped with pita chips. Vegan and Gluten Free.
Toasted pita bread on a salad! So now we’ve identified my favorite way to enjoy kale —> with carbs on top.
I might be taking a few creative liberties in calling this salad “Fall Fattoush”, but since I’ve included toasted pita bread on top, the signature ingredient, it works for me. While it might not be traditional, it’s certainly my favorite salad as of late.
Besides the homemade pita crisps, I can’t get enough of kale, juicy red grapes and mustard-maple dressing. The flavor combination is so incredible you might find yourself eating bowl after bowl of this. Just don’t blame me if you start craving kale salads on the regular. This is what we call healthy fall eats.
As with most of my salad recipes, I always want to include a make ahead option. Mainly, because I rely on salads for most lunches and hate nothing more than pulling out a soggy, wet salad. You know what I’m talking about.
To make and take, prepare the kale salad plain with cucumbers and hazelnuts. In a separate jar, make and store the dressing; I throw all the ingredients into a mason jar and shake-shake-shake until combined. Lastly, bring a small baggy of sliced grapes, a bag of pre-toasted pita bread, and a whole apple with you. I bring enough ingredients for 2-3 days worth of salads and just leave it in my office refrigerator. Oddly, no one has stolen my kale yet!
To assemble on site, toss the kale salad with dressing. Add the grapes and quickly slice the apple. Top with pita chips.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Fall Fattoush Salad! Kale salad tossed with sliced apples, juicy grapes, maple-mustard dressing and topped with pita chips.
- 2 pita breads, torn into chunks
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- pinch salt/pepper
- 8 cups shredded kale (I used the Cruciferous Crunch bagged kale salad from TJ’s)
- 2 apples, sliced thin
- 1 cup halved grapes
- 2 persian cucumbers, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, lightly toastedDressing:
- 3 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Toss the pita bread with 1 tsp. olive oil and a pinch of salt/pepper. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast for 2-3 minutes until slightly crisp. Remove from oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the pita is toasting, heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the hazelnuts and lightly toast, making sure not to brown. Remove from heat.
- Toss together the shredded kale, sliced apples, halved grapes, sliced cucumbers, toasted hazelnuts and pita bread.
- Whisk together the mustard, garlic cloves and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle salad with mustard vinaigrette and serve.