Gingerbread Muffins with cream cheese frosting! These healthier gingerbread muffins are topped with a rich, cream cheese frosting. Perfect for the holidays or gifting!
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup milk (I prefer soy or oat milk in baking)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and salt. (I use a fine mesh sieve to easily sift everything together. I do notice a difference in my baked goods when I sift, so I do recommend doing it!)
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, then add the maple syrup, molasses, milk and oil. Pour the wet into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter 3/4 of the way into a lightly greased or paper-lined muffin tin. Bake for 18 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- When ready, make the frosting. Add the cream cheese to the base of a stand mixer or a bowl with an electric mixer. Whip the cheese until creamy, then add in the powered sugar until stiff and creamy. Add in the vanilla.
- Frost the cupcakes and enjoy!
Keywords: muffins, baked goods, vegetarian, gingerbread