Everybody likes pizza. Everybody, which is why this month’s Recipe Redux theme of ‘Pizza Party,’ is a real crowd pleaser. Perfect for the upcoming Super Bowl or build-your-own pie date night.
This dairy-free pizza is one of my favorite new creations. Crispy, grilled crust topped with artichoke-leek puree, caramelized mushrooms and fresh arugula. A drizzle of truffle oil is the perfect topper. I could eat truffle oil on just about anything, but a little bit on pizza is soooo good.
I’ve been obsessed with truffle pizza for a while now. We live a few blocks away from one of my favorite italian places and their seasonal white truffle pizza is bananas. When it’s available, we eat a lot of take-out. A little bit of truffle oil upgrades regular pizza to Saturday night pizza. This pie gets a double punch from both truffle salt and truffle oil. If you don’t have any, this pizza is still delicious but becomes a game-changer with the added ingredients.
The other key to this pizza is the grilled crust. Slightly charred and smoky, it’s the perfect base for the creamy artichoke layer. If you don’t have a pizza grill pan, follow the directions for placing your dough directly onto the grill. While I try to make homemade dough when I have time, I highly recommend Trader Joe’s pizza crust. For less than two bucks a bag, you get fresh dough! I used the whole-wheat variety here but I also love their herb and plain varieties.
Looking for more Super Bowl worthy dishes? You can find last years recipes here.
Enjoy this Recipe Redux pizza roundup!
- 2 tbsp. non-dairy margarine, divided
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium leeks, white part only, washed, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped artichoke bottoms/hearts, fresh or canned
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cashew cream or other heavy cream
- 10 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/8 tsp. truffle salt
- 1–2 handfuls arugula
- 1 pizza dough
- 3 tsp. truffle oil, divided
Make the sauce:
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp. of the margarine over medium heat and add the sliced leeks.
- Cook until tender.
- Add the garlic and artichokes. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until artichokes and leeks are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, or transferring the mixture to a high powered blender, puree until smooth.
- Stir in the cashew cream.
- Set aside.
Make the mushrooms:
- Add the remaining margarine to a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over medium heat. Don’t stir for the first minute! This allows them to get a nice crust.
- Add the truffle salt and cook until mushrooms are browned and liquid has evaporated.
- Set aside.
For the Pizza:
- Spread the dough onto a grill pan. I used a grill pizza pan for this, if you don’t have one use this [url:1]guide [/url]to grill pizzas without a pan.
- Prick the dough lightly with a fork so the dough doesn’t rise on the grill.
- Lightly brush 1 tsp. of the truffle oil onto the dough.
- Cover and grill until the dough is cooked through, about 5 minutes
Assemble the pizza:
- Spread the leek & artichoke puree over the crust.
- Add the mushrooms and arugula
- Drizzle with truffle oil and serve.