The BEST Hawaiian Veggie Burgers! Tropical Black Bean Patty with Grilled Pineapple and Swiss! You have to make this one.
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/2 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp. cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 cup regular bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 8 pineapple slices (fresh or frozen)
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Hamburger Buns (I used [url:1]Dave’s Million Dollar Buns[/url] for this recipe- so good!)
- Place the onion, red bell pepper, carrot and garlic into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add 1 can black beans, brown rice, cilantro, egg, red pepper flakes and cumin. Pulse to quickly combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the remaining can of black beans and the bread crumbs. Season with salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to chill and thicken.
- Divide mixture into 6-8 patties. The thinner the patties, the crisper the burger will be.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Add pineapple slices and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until heated through and lightly charred. Remove and set aside.
- Lightly spray with cooking spray or drizzle olive oil on the skillet. Add burgers and cook about 5 minutes per side, until browned and heated through.
- The last minute of cooking, add pineapple slice and slice of swiss cheese. Cover to melt cheese!
Keywords: Hawaiian veggie burger, veggie patty recipe