Date night dinner! Homemade gnocchi with wild mushroom sauce. This vegan meal is so fantastic and delicious, it’s a must for nice dinners in! With step-by-step instructions on how to make homemade gnocchi.
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 cup regular flour
- 1//2 tsp. garlic salt
- 2 tbsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 cups mixed wild mushrooms, chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
Making homemade gnocchi:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Clean potatoes and poke all over with a fork. Bake for 1 hour until really soft. Remove from oven, let cool and peel skins off.
- Using a ricer, rice potatoes and place in a large bowl. If you don’t have a ricer, mash until there are as few lumps as possible.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, dried herbs, and salt. Slowly add the flour to the potatoes and stir into a dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic and place in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Unwrap dough and place onto a lightly flour-dusted workspace. Divide the dough in 4 and roll each section into a 1/2 inch thick log. cut the rope into 1″ pieces. Using your pointed and middle finger, place fingers onto a piece of dough and pull towards you. Fold the other side over. You want to make a crevice where sauce can get in. (See video technique here)
- Once sauce is ready, make the gnocchi. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place gnocchi in water and cook until they rise to the surface, about 3 minutes. You will do this in batches, being sure not to overcrowd the gnocchi in the sauce pan. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a cookie sheet in a warm oven.
Make the mushroom ragu:
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, let cook for 10 minutes until reduced and caramelized, stirring only a few times. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add garlic, shallots, rosemary, oregano and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and red wine, stir and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add vegetable broth, reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Whisk in 1 tbsp. butter and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Keywords: homemade gnocchi, gnocchi with wild mushroom ragu, vegan