This easy Instant Pot Dal recipe is packed full of flavor and is so good for you too! It’s the perfect dal recipe that is ready in less than 30 minutes!
- 2 cups Toor Dal (split yellow pigeon peas)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 2 inches fresh ginger
- 4 small tomatoes
- 1/2 large or 1 small onion
- 1 Seranno pepper (2 for more added heat)
- 2 dried chilis
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 2 Tbsp. Garam Masala
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. tumeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 4 cups water
- Soak the split yellow pigeon peas in cold water for 20 minutes. Once they have soaked, drain, rinse and set aside.
- Finely chop: Garlic, Ginger, Tomatoes, Onion, Serrano peppers and set aside.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the Instant Pot.
- Turn your Instant Pot‘s Sauté mode on and wait for a minute or two for it to heat up.
- Add ginger and onion. Gently sauté until the onions are translucent for about 3 – 4 minutes. Add the chilis and Serrano peppers.
- After onions are translucent and peppers have been added, let it cook for about 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic (if you are using ginger paste instead of ginger root, add it here instead)
- Squeeze juice of 1 small lemon in the mixture and mix in well.
- Add spices to the Instant Pot: Garam Masala, Turmeric, Cumin, salt and mix well for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the split peas and 4 cups water. Close and seal your Instant Pot.
- Set to Porridge Mode for 15 minutes. Once the time has elapsed, allow to naturally release for 5 minutes before opening.
- Season to taste, adding more salt/pepper/spice as needed. We love this served over jasmine rice with chopped cilantro.
The pea/lentil to Water Ratio should be 1:2 for the best results.
Keywords: vegan chana dal, Instant Por dal, Instant pot recipe, Indian Instant Pot recipe