Nothing is more comforting than a bowl of hearty soup, especially in 30 minutes or less. This Italian Orzo Soup is packed with vegetables and delicious!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes in broth
- 6–8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups orzo
- In a large sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes until onion is translucent. Add the garlic cloves along with the dried spices, a large pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped zucchini and squash and cook another 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add the bay leaf, diced tomatoes and 6 cups vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the orzo and cook for roughly 10 minutes until orzo is cooked through and al dente. Since the orzo will continue to swell as the soup cooks, add more broth as needed.
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy!