I’ve got the most delicious lunch for you today! A bean salad bowl filled with all of the good stuff: herby couscous, creamy hummus, the most incredible lemon-parsley dressing and tangy READ 4 bean salad. YUM.
The inspiration for this came from a meal that I had a few months ago when I was in NY. I needed to grab a meal quickly before heading to the airport and stumbled upon this cute little deli with rows and rows of prepared meals and salads. I love these kind of places and wish more of them existed in St. Louis!
I grabbed a bowl of things that sounded delicious: couscous, hummus, different kinds of beans, roasted red peppers and a dressing packed with a few different kinds of herbs. Wow! So incredibly delicious. I ate that salad in the cab on the way back home and knew that this one was going to be recreated at some point in the future.
And, here we are.
Doesn’t this salad look so incredibly fresh? It’s perfect for this time of year when breakfast is sometimes leftover Christmas cookies and dinner is cheese, heavy apps and wine. At least that’s how it feels for me. I love December but also need a clean meal break sometimes from all of the celebrations. This is the perfect lunch for those kind of days.
It also couldn’t be simpler to put together. The couscous takes 10 minutes to prep, the hummus is already done and the dressing is just a handful of ingredients and so delicious, you might not buy prepared dressing again.
The star, of course, is READ’s 4 Bean Salad. Ready to eat just as they are, chilled or at room temp. I usually keep a can or two in the fridge for adding to salads or just eating on their own. but they can be used in soups, wraps, casseroles and more…check out the recipes at READsalads.com
The 4 bean salad is made with green, wax, kidney and garbanzo beans. Gluten-free, fat-free in a tangy-sweet vinegar based dressing. It pairs perfectly with the ingredients here and makes for an effortless, healthy lunch or dinner.
Look for READ Salads in your grocer’s canned vegetable aisle. AND, as a thank you for being a DK reader, I’m giving away a READ Family pack with ALL of the READ products + a $50 gift card. Enter below in the comments. I’ll pick a winner next week!
Lebanese bean salad bowls! Herb couscous with hummus, lemon parsley dressing and 4-bean salad. Vegan, plant-based and ready in less than 20 minutes.
Lebanese Bean Salad Bowls:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons lower-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 can READ Classic 4 bean salad, drained
- 1/2 cup prepared hummus (homemade or store-bought)
Lemon Parsley Dressing:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Make the couscous. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and add oil to the pan. Add shallots and saute 2-3 minutes until shallots are just tender. Add in the couscous and saute for another minute until couscous is lightly toasted. Add the broth and salt, then bring to a boil. Cover with lid and remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then stir in the parsley.
- Make the dressing. Whisk together the parsley, lemon juice/zest, garlic, salt, pepper and mustard together in a small bowl until mustard is dissolved. Keep whisking the ingredients together and slowly drizzle in the olive oil until a dressing forms. Season to taste, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the dressing to the couscous and stir in.
- Make the bowls! Divide the couscous into 4 bowls and top each bowl with bean salad and hummus. Drizzle with remaining dressing and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 548
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 713mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fiber: 6.6
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: lunch, bowls, healthy, vegan, vegetarian