Let’s chat about deceivingly healthy foods:
Granola, often portrayed as a health food, can be a meal in itself… even before you add fruit, milk, and/or yogurt.
Thankfully, this granola is closer in stats to oatmeal than traditional granola.
While I’ve made granola before, the addition of lemon zest and poppy seeds makes this granola special. Fancy enough for brunch or weekday breakfast.
Looking to make this even healthier? To cut down on added sugars, use unsweetened coconut instead of sweetened.
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tbsp. poppy seeds
- 1/3cup + 1 tbsp. silvered almonds
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp. Earth Balance butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, sweetened coconut, poppy seeds, almonds, & salt.
- Combine the melted butter, agave nectar, and vanilla extract.
- Stir together and add to oat mixture. Stir to combine and spread onto a lightly-greased pan.
- Place in the oven and baked for 8 minutes. Stir, and bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy with cold almond milk or lemon yogurt.
- Per Serving (8): 47g, 167 calories, 8.4g fat, 21g CHO, 3g fiber, 3.7g protein