Lentil Wild Rice Winter Salad! This salad is SO delicious and perfect for the winter. Arugula, wild rice, lentils, pomegranates, mint and caramelized shallots. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 4 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup wild rice blend (I used a blend of wild rice, brown rice and red rice)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 6 ounces arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup blanched almond slivers
- 1/2 cup torn mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt/freshly cracked black pepper
- Peel and slice shallots as thinly as possible. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-low heat and add the shallots and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until shallots are very caramelized and browned, about 30-45 minutes.
- While the shallots are cooking, make the rice. In a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid, combine rice, lentils, broth, and 1/2 teaspoon salt if using water. Bring everything to a full boil then lower heat, just enough to maintain a slow, steady simmer. Continue cooking until rice and lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for a few minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat a dry saute pan over medium heat and add the almond slivers and cook over medium heat, stirring for 2-3 minutes until almonds are lightly browned, taking care not to burn.
- Assemble! Place the arugula and 1 cup of the rice/lentil mixture, almonds and torn mint leaves together in a salad bowl and lightly toss. Transfer to individual bowls/platter and top with the remaining rice/lentils and pomegranate seeds. Whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and balsamic vinegar together and drizzle over the salad. Garnish with flaky sea salt (like Maldon) and freshly ground black pepper.
Keywords: salad, healthy, glutenfree, vegan, vegetarian, lentils, wild rice