Black tea with the citrus burst of bergamot oil combines withvanilla and strawberry for a unique twist on starting the day. Look for rooibos-based Earl Grey tea if you want a decaf version. Recipe from YumUniverse Pantry to Plate © Heather Crosby, 2017. Photographs copyright © Heather Crosby, 2017. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com
- 3 cups (240 g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (240 ml) raw, unpasteurized honey
- ¾ cup (105 g) raw, unsalted almonds, chopped
- ½ cup (70 g) raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup (30 g) raw, unsalted pepitas
- ¼ cup (60 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Earl Grey tea leaves, ground in coffee/spice grinder
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (20 g) dried strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C). In a large bowl, combine the oats, honey, almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, olive oil, tea, zest, and salt. Spread the mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer roughly 1⁄4 inch (6 mm) thick. Give it a light press and bake for 35 to 40 minutes,stirring every 10 minutes, until toasty, golden brown.
- Once cooled, transfer the granola to a large bowl and break apart;fold in the strawberries. Store in an airtight container in the pantry or fridge for 4 to 8 weeks.