Mini Vegetable Wellingtons! The perfect vegan thanksgiving recipe! Savory squash and mushroom filling in puff pastry. Decadent, easy to put together and delicious! If you need a plant-based thanksgiving main dish, this is it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon + 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 pound cremini or baby bell mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (14-16 ounce) package, puffed pastry
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F
- Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 minutes until tender. Set aside.
- While the squash is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil and add the garlic and shallot, then cook until just tender, about 1 minute taking care not to burn.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are browned and reduced- about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook until mixture is dry, about 5 minutes. Add in the walnuts, cooked squash, remaining fresh thyme and mushrooms. taste and add more salt/pepper if needed.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper/ silpat and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unwrap the thawed puff pastry. Cut into squares; I cut the parchment into 4 equal squares to make 8 wellingtons per package of puff pastry.
- Spoon the filling in the center, about 1/4 cup filling. Bring two opposite corners together and pinch, then bring the other two corners together and press down. If using oat milk, then lightly brush the entire top with the milk. If using water, then just lightly brush as needed to let the pastry stick together.
- Repeat for the remaining squares/filling then place on the prepared baking sheet. Cook at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and puffed. Enjoy!