Vegan Mushroom Fettuccine Alfredo! This vegan Alfredo is SO amazing and layered with umami. If you are looking for the best vegan pasta, this is it. A must-try for anyone– vegan or not!
- 1/2 ounce dried mushrooms (morels, porcini or a mix of both)
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cashews, preferably soaked for ~4 hours (see notes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 12 ounces dried fettuccine
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl and cover with hot/boiling water. Let soak for 30 minutes while preparing the onions.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat, add the oil and the thinly sliced onions, salt and sugar and cook until very brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes. You’ll want to stir the onions fairly often so they don’t burn or stick.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and thinly slice, then add to the saucepan (along with a little more oil, if needed) and stir together. Drain the dried mushrooms (save the liquid) and finely chop, then add to the skillet. Stir, cooking often, until the mushrooms are reduced and browned. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and season to taste, adding more salt if needed. If the mushrooms start to stick, add a little of the reserved soaking liquid, then stir.
- While the mushrooms/onions are cooking, place the cashews in the base of a blender with the water, a pinch of salt and the nutritional yeast. Puree until very creamy and smooth. Depending on the power of your blender, this may take a few minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add in the fettuccine and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water.
- Add the cream to the skillet and reduce heat to low, then stir together. Add in the cooked fettuccine and toss together, adding reserved pasta water as needed to help the sauce cling to the noodles. Season to taste as needed, adding more salt and freshly cracked pepper as desired. Serve! This one is so good!
- Cashews blend better when soaked. However, if you don’t have time or forget, then I recommend pouring boiling/hot water over the cashews and let soak for 10 minutes, then drain.
Keywords: italian, pasta, vegan, dinner, main dish