If you ask me on a Thursday afternoon what the upcoming weekend will look like, I’d probably mention a date night (or two), a few long runs, brunch with BL, and hopefully a few activities with friends.
By Saturday morning, most of those plans have gone out the window. Errands pile up, the house is a mess, and BL and I both get stuck in front of our computers well into the afternoon. Most of us can relate to the “not enough time during the week” scenario, when work and responsibility spill over into the weekend.
A few weekends ago, I made a point to get everything we needed to get done out of the way on Saturday so we could relax and take it easy on Sunday. I know it sounds a little silly but I cherish afternoons when ‘nothing’ is on the docket: time to catch an impromptu movie, ride our bikes, go for a walk, or just lay on the couch and talk.
The first order of business? These pancakes. Heartier than a buttermilk pancake, these stacked up perfectly with homemade blueberry sauce.
The other beauty of this brunch? It took just 20 minutes to prepare. Just enough time for BL to wipe down the outside furniture, make the coffee and pop a bottle of champagne. Whether you are making these on a weekday or weekend morning, enjoy and savor!
Keep the extra sauce and use to sweeten oatmeal or toast, will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Oatmeal Pancakes with fresh blueberry glaze! Healthy, vegan, and perfect for a lazy brunch or weekday breakfast.
Oatmeal Pancakes: (adapted from Vegetarian Times)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the Oatmeal Pancakes:
- Add the soymilk, vinegar, maple syrup, and oil to a small bowl. Whisk together and add the oats.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Using an emulsion blender, pulse the oatmeal mixture a few times to break up the oats.
- If you don’t have an emulsion blender, add the oatmeal mixture to a blender and pulse a few times to break up the oats.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the soymilk-oat mixture to the flour and stir together.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles form on top and edges are cooked.
- Flip, and cook 1-2 more minutes until lightly browned on both sides.
- Pile on a plate and add the glaze!
For the Glaze:
- Add the blueberries, 1/4 cup water, orange juice and zest, sugar in a saucepan.
- Stir together and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, add the cornstarch and cold water together. Whisk together until combined.
- Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan making sure not to mash all the berries. Simmer gently until slightly thick, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cinnamon.