Oatmeal Pancakes with fresh blueberry glaze! Healthy, vegan, and perfect for a lazy brunch or weekday breakfast.
Oatmeal Pancakes: (adapted from Vegetarian Times)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 3/4 cup soymilk
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
For the Oatmeal Pancakes:
- Add the soymilk, vinegar, maple syrup, and oil to a small bowl. Whisk together and add the oats.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to soften slightly.
- Using an emulsion blender, pulse the oatmeal mixture a few times to break up the oats.
- If you don’t have an emulsion blender, add the oatmeal mixture to a blender and pulse a few times to break up the oats.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the soymilk-oat mixture to the flour and stir together.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of the batter to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles form on top and edges are cooked.
- Flip, and cook 1-2 more minutes until lightly browned on both sides.
- Pile on a plate and add the glaze!
For the Glaze:
- Add the blueberries, 1/4 cup water, orange juice and zest, sugar in a saucepan.
- Stir together and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, add the cornstarch and cold water together. Whisk together until combined.
- Gently stir the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan making sure not to mash all the berries. Simmer gently until slightly thick, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add cinnamon.