One Pot Orzo Pasta! Looking for a healthy one pot dinner? Try this one pot orzo pasta made with kale, chickpeas and basil. So easy to throw together and perfect for busy weeknights. Easily vegan, vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound dried orzo pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups finely chopped kale leaves
- 1/2 cup regular or vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the orzo and garlic and stir for another 45-60 seconds until garlic is just starting to smell and pasta is lightly toasted.
- Stir in broth, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, tomatoes and chickpeas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until broth is absorbed and orzo is cooked through, stirring often so the orzo doesn’t stick, about 10 minutes. If the pasta needs more water to cook, then add up to 1/2 cup more water. Stir in the kale and cook another minute until just wilted.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese and fresh basil, then season with more salt/pepper as needed.
Keywords: one pot, cooking, dinner, healthy, pasta, Italian