Orange Blueberry Breakfast Bread
You've gotta make this Orange Blueberry Breakfast Bread! It's so delicious, lightly sweetened and easily gluten-free. Served with orange mascarpone frosting.
- 1 cup all-purpose baking flour (can substitute gluten free all-purpose flour 1:1, see notes)
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 cup oatmeal flour, ground from rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 2-3 Tablespoons sliced almonds, for topping (optional)
- Mascarpone Spread
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), softened
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoon orange juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and dried spices.
- Mix eggs, oil, maple syrup, orange juice, zest, and vanilla extract in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Add in egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Wash and dry blueberries, then roll berries in extra flour (to keep blueberries from sinking) and fold into batter.
- Lightly spray a loaf pan, then pour the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle almonds on top.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes, or until bread is lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- While the bread is cooking, prepare the spread: mix together the softened cheese, powdered sugar, orange zest and juice and vanilla extract.
- Slice bread and serve with orange-cheese frosting.
I tested this both with all-purpose flour and gluten-free flour (Cup for Cup) and I preferred the all-purpose version, though the gluten-free option works. I think the gluten-free option was more crumbly than the all-purpose version.
Recipe by Delish Knowledge at https://www.delishknowledge.com/orange-blueberry-breakfast-bread/