The best lentil soup! This vegan lentil soup is one of our favorite healthy recipes. Perfect for anyone looking to add more plant-based protein and fiber into their diet.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 small yukon gold potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup French green or brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large soup pan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and a small pinch of salt and pepper and cook until vegetables are just soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, thyme, oregano and paprika and cook another 5 minutes, stirring so the potatoes don’t burn but get just a little crisp on the outside.
- Add the tomatoes, broth, bay leaves, water, lentils and bring to a boil, then reduce heat a simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are very tender.
- Remove ~3 cups and place in a blender along with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and puree until creamy and smooth. Return back to the pot along with the vinegar and parsley.
- Stir together, then taste. Adding more salt/pepper as needed depending on the saltiness of your broth. Serve!
Keywords: lentil soup, easy soup recipe