First off, I am overwhelmed from all the positive feedback and comments from Wednesday’s post. I loved reading all of your emails, tweets, facebook messages, ect. and will be talking more about this & related topics soon. Thank you! xo
Today I’m popping in to share with you two quick gluten-free appetizer ideas, perfect for summer entertaining. Maybe it’s growing up in the south but nothing says summer more to me than sitting outside, sipping on a beverage and enjoying a light meal of fresh nibbles.
When BL and I first moved to Sacramento, our little condo had zero outside space. Zero. Can you imagine living in Northern California and not being able to enjoy evenings outside? We made do by frequenting the many restaurant patios, but it’s not quite the same as relaxing outside with a dinner you’ve made.
When we moved a few years ago, my #1 stipulation was outdoor space. While it wasn’t an impossible feat, it certainly was more of a challenge than we expected. I’m so happy that our new condo has a large enough patio to hold both an outside table/dining area and container garden.
It’s the perfect place to relax on a hot summer evening and invite friends over to. I would estimate that 70% of our dinners in the summer take place outside. For you fancy pants, that’s al fresco dining.
Besides eating outside, summer is the perfect excuse to call appetizers dinner. Quick bites that are ready by the time BL finishes making his famous blackberry mojitos. In the same time it takes me to text my girlfriends and see if they want to stop by for a quick drink and a bite.
When I want a simple, throw together appetizer, I turn to these recipes: olive & lemon gremolata on gluten-free herb crackers and ricotta stuffed tomatoes topped with gluten free breadcrumbs and chives. The beauty of these recipes is that not only do they compliment each other perfectly- what with the briny olives and creamy stuffed tomatoes, but they couldn’t be easier to whip together. These gluten-free Breton crackers are great to have on hand to create easy, delicious recipes that everyone can enjoy.
What’s your favorite quick & easy appetizer?
Need quick appetizer that you can throw together in 5 minutes or less? Enjoy this easy idea with ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. Olives, parsley, and lemon whisked together and served over gluten-free crackers
- 1 package [url:1]Breton gluten-free crackers[/url], herb flavor
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green olives
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kalamata olives
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- To prepare, whisk together all ingredients for the gremolata. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over cracker and enjoy immediately.
Quick appetizer idea. Tomatoes stuffed with chive ricotta cheese, topped with gluten-free breadcrumbs and baked until warm and bubbly.
- 1 carton cherry tomatoes (about 25 tomatoes)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (can use dairy-free ricotta cheese for vegan variety)
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 Breton Gluten Free Crackers, Original with Flax variety
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice off end of cherry tomato and gently scrape out the seeds and membrane inside. Do this for all the tomatoes and set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, chives and pinch salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Carefully scoop the ricotta mixture into each of the tomatoes and place in a baking dish.
- Place the gluten-free crackers into a paper bag and gently crush with a rolling pin. You can also do this in a food processor.
- Remove and gently sprinkle the crumbs over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes until warm.
- Remove, garnish with chopped chives and serve!
I received free samples of Breton Gluten Free crackers. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Dare Foods Incorporated and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.