Rice Pilaf with Nuts and California Prunes! Looking for a healthy rice pilaf recipe? This is it! Spiced rice pilaf with almonds, pistachios and California Prunes.
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup basmati rice*
- 1 3/4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped California Prunes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place the almonds and pistachios in a dry skillet and lightly toast over medium heat until just golden brown; taking care not to burn the nuts, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for ~5 minutes, until onion is translucent and soft. Add in the garlic cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, salt, pepper and rice then stir together for 30 seconds to warm together.
- Reduce heat to low and add in vegetable broth and prunes, then cover. Let cook for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove the pot from the stove and let sit without touching for 10 minutes; this will help the rice steam off heat.
- Remove the lid, then use fork to fluff the rice and add in the nuts and freshly chopped parsley.
*I love basmati or Jasmine rice in this dish as it’s got a yummy light texture and fragrance. However, if you use brown rice then increase the liquid to 2 1/4 cups and increase cooking time to 35-40 minutes.
Keywords: rice pilaf recipe