Sicilian Caponata Pasta! Tender eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and basil tossed with rigatoni. The perfect plant-based late-summer dinner!
- 1 (about 3/4 lb) eggplant, trimmed, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb. ziti noodles, regular or whole wheat
- Toss eggplant and salt together in a bowl. Let rest for 20-30 minutes to let the water draw out. Transfer eggplant gently gently into a colander (but do not rinse), then squeeze lightly with a paper towel.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat; add the garlic and quickly cook for 30 seconds, taking care not to burn. Meanwhile, Bring a large pot of salt of water to a boil.
- Add the eggplant to the saute pan and cook for 5-7 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Add the zucchini, and cook an additional 5 minutes, then add in the broth, pepper, oregano, cherry tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes until tomatoes are softened and mixture has thickened.
- Add the rigatoni to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Add the basil and balsamic vinegar to the eggplant mixture and remove from heat. Toss with the cooked pasta and season to taste, adding more salt/pepper if desired. Enjoy!
Keywords: sicilian caponata