Vegan Southwest Breakfast Tacos! Scrambled tofu with green chilis, black beans and spinach. Topped with hash browns, salsa and avocado.
- 8 Dr. Praeger’s Southwest Hash Browns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and [url:1]pressed[/url]*
- 1/4 teaspoon [url:2]black salt[/url] (gives extra egg-flavor, can use sea salt instead)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 4.5 ounce can green chilis, drained
- 1 cup cooked black beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 8 flour tortillas
- Salsa, for serving
- Chopped Avocado, for serving
- Hot Sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place hash browns on ungreased baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes until browned. Carefully flip and bake an additional 4 minutes, until heated through and well browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the hash browns are cooking, make the tofu scramble. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Crumble the pressed tofu into bite-sized pieces and add to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and turmeric then saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned and warmed through.
- Add in the drained green chilis, black beans and spinach until spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide the tofu scramble among the tortillas and top each taco with 1 hash brown patty. Top with salsa, chopped avocado, and hot sauce.
*If you are new to tofu, refer to this post on how to prep tofu.