Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy Meatballs! These meatballs are packed in a sweet and spicy pepper and pineapple sauce. So delicious and perfect for weeknight dinners! Throw everything in a slow cooker and dinner is ready when you are!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed, sliced thin
- 1 cup plain tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 teaspoon ground all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. liquid smoke (optional, but recommended)
- 1 (20 oz.) can diced pineapple, drained, 1/3 cup liquid reserved
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen vegan meatballs* (We love the Trader Joe’s brand)
- Cooked rice for serving
- Place crockpot on high setting.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and chopped onion. Stir and let cook until onion is slightly cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add bell and jalapeno peppers, stir into the onion mixture and let sit for another 5 minutes.
- in a separate bowl, combine the cornstarch, maple syrup, pineapple juice, tomato sauce, all spice, ginger, garlic powder and liquid smoke (if using). Stir together until blended and pour onto the pepper mixture.
- Stir in the frozen meatballs and diced pineapple.
- Cover and let cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 5-6 hours.
- Sauce should be reduced and thick, meatballs heated all the way through.
- Serve over cooked rice, if desired.
- I used frozen meatballs here but if you want to make your own, I love my mushroom meatball recipe!
Keywords: slow cooker, american, dinner, main, entree, healthy, vegan