Tender spring vegetables in a homemade green curry sauce over rice? My kind of meal.
Thankfully, it’s this babe’s kind of meal as well.
All throughout my first trimester I craved both Indian and Thai food regularly. I don’t know.
It makes absolutely no sense to me that I would easily down curries, palak paneer and chana masala as often as possible but completely pass on pasta. I suppose the heart wants what it wants. Or, at least, the little baby knows exactly what it wants.
Either way, I became a regular at both nearby take-out spots. While my order occasionally varied depending on my cravings, I was always in the mood for some type of curry. There is something so satisfying about a spicy coconut sauce and warm rice. Gosh, I’d even eat vegetables during that time as long as it was covered like this.
Once I started to get my normal appetite and energy back, it’s no surprise that I created another curry. I’ve done it a few times before, with this 15-minute green curry sauce still being one of my favorite things to drizzle on tofu, tempeh and every vegetable in between. (PS- not a fan of green? Try my versions of red, yellow and red again instead)
This version features the best of spring produce: peppers, asparagus and lots of peas. I supposed you could use fresh peas, but I always have a hard time finding them in the market beyond April. So, frozen works.
I know I’m technically supposed to recommend brown rice here, being an RD and all, but I much prefer the taste of white. Trader Joe’s sells an organic Jasmine rice that’s divine, and hands-down my go-to rice for most meals.
I look at it this way- I’m already getting vegetables and fiber in the rest of my meal, it’s OK if I lose a bit with white over brown rice.
However you serve it, this meals a keeper.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Spring Vegetable Thai Green Curry! This curry is packed with flavor and tons of vegetables. Quick green curry sauce with peppers, asparagus and peas. Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thin
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed, sliced into 1” pieces
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste (I like Thai Kitchen brand)
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free version)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil (can sub regular basil if you can’t find Thai)
- Jasmine or Basmati rice, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger and saute for 5-6 minutes until soft, stirring often.
- Add in the asparagus then whisk in the green curry paste, coconut milk, green peas, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Simmer for an additional 5-6 minutes, until asparagus is cooked through and sauce has thickened a bit.
- Taste, adding more soy sauce or salt if needed. Stir in the Thai basil and serve over rice.