Thai Coconut Buddha Bowls! The best thai tofu with black rice, edamame, carrots, vegetables and a peanut-thai sauce! Vegan and Gluten-Free.
- 1 cup black rice or [url:1]forbidden rice[/url]
- 16 ounce package firm tofu, pressed and drained, then diced
- 1 cup Edamame, thawed from frozen
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 Red pepper, diced
Thai Coconut Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1–2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (low-sodium if preferred)
- 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Place the rice and 2 cups water in a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. While the onion is preheating, dice the tofu, slice the carrots and dice the peppers.
- Place the tofu in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Flip, then cook for 5-7 more minutes until golden brown on top.
- Place the carrots in a single layer on a separate baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes until tender. (I used my non-stick baking stones so I didn’t have to add any oil, but you can spray the pan or toss carrots with a pinch of oil if you don’t have non-stick baking sheets). Remove from oven.
- While the tofu is cooking, heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook, stirring often, about 30 seconds, taking care not to burn. Add the red curry paste, and stir for 30 seconds more. Whisk in the lime juice, soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, chili powder, cayenne pepper, sesame oil, and coconut milk then bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, whisking occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the tofu from the oven and place in a bowl with 1/2 of the sauce to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove the remaining sauce from the pan and set aside. Wipe out the pan, return to medium heat and add the tofu along with the marinating sauce. Cook, stirring often until all the sauce is reduced and tofu is crispy.
- Divide the rice among 4 bowls along with the edamame, red pepper and carrots. Top with tofu, then drizzle with remaining sauce.