I love my family. My mom, my sisters, we are all food fanatics.
On second though, fanatic doesn’t even begin to describe it.
Page long emails in October to discuss the menu for Christmas? Crazy if you don’t do it!
Hours of conversation about what food we made that weekend or new places to eat? Check, Check, Check.
Don’t mind that we are 3,000 miles apart- my mother and I talk about food almost daily.
In some ways, I remind myself how lucky I am to have people who GET it like I do. BL rolls his eyes about 3 minutes in to any conversation I start about dinners for the week. If he had his way, I would cook the same 6 meals every week on repeat. I have to remind him constantly that this is NEVER going to happen. Sorry charlie, experimenting in the kitchen is in my blood.
When his eyes start glazing over, that’s about the time I pick up the phone and call my mom. She will easily entertain my gazillion thoughts on what dessert I should make for my co-workers, the best wheat bread recipe, the new products at Whole Foods.
Last week, in the midst of some heavy food convo, she brought up the idea for this soup. Creamy coconut base, green curry paste, vegetables; I think I ran to the store while we were still on the phone.
I did have to make a few simple swaps to hers: tofu for chicken, added mushrooms that I had laying around, and upping the spice a bit.
Ladies and Gentleman, we have a winner!
This soup is the perfect thing for people who are over soup. I get it. By this point in the year, I really don’t want another vegetable & grain stew, but this one is different. You just have to make it!
Serve over brown rice or rice noodles.
Thai Tofu SoupPrint
Coconut Thai soup simmered with green curry paste, vegetables, and tofu.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon grass (from the tube in the refrigerated herb section. You could also use fresh)
- 2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1–2 tbsp. green curry paste (will depend on brand and preference. I like a lot of heat!)
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 heads baby bok choy- sliced thin, stems and leaves
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 2 tbsp. Thai basil, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Sriracha (optional)
- In a soup pan, heat 1 tbsp. of olive oil over medium-high heat
- Add the onion, garlic and cook 5 minutes until soft and reduced.
- Add lemon grass paste, ginger, brown sugar and soy sauce. Stir into the onion mixture and cook another 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in curry paste.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the carrots, mushrooms, bok choy and tofu.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth, cover and let cook for 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the coconut milk and stir to combine. Coconut milk will curdle so be careful not to overheat it!
- Let cook another 5 minutes. Add the lime juice and sriracha if using.
- Garnish with chopped basil.