Looking for the best vegan stuffing? This is it! Homemade tempeh sausage crumbles folded into a classic stuffing with sourdough bread, carrots, celery, onion, thyme and sage. Vegan.
- 16 ounces tempeh (from two 8 ounce packages)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1.4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried sage (I love Penzey Spices Rubbed Sage, can also use fresh if you don’t have dried)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter, plus more for greasing pan (I used Earth Balance baking sticks; or regular butter for non-vegan version. Don’t substitute oil, you want the flavor of butter)
- 1 lb. sourdough bread, cut into small cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon salt (Earth Balance is salty, so if you use an unsalted butter, you’ll want more salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Crumble the tempeh using a box grater or finely chop using a knife. Add to the skillet along with 1/4 cup water. Let steam until all water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the spices and garlic and toast for 1 minute until fragrant. Add in the soy sauce, maple syrup and oil and let cook for 5-8 minutes until browned and crispy. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Lightly butter a large (9×13″) baking dish and set aside.
- Cube bread and place in a single layer on a baking sheet (will likely need two baking sheets) and toast until dried out but not overly browned, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While bread is cooking, heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are very tender but not browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the wine and scrape any browned bits on the bottom of the skillet. Bring to a boil and cook until wine is mostly evaporated, about 3-4 minutes. Toss in sage, thyme and parsley.
- Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Add bread, tempeh sausage and vegetable mixture in a large bowl and add 2 cups of stock, toss well to combine. You want the bread mixture to absorb all of the broth and be “wet” but not have any visible broth in the bowl. Add the salt and pepper.
- Slowly add the rest of the broth, tossing every 1/4 or so until all combined. Let sit for 10 minutes until all broth is absorbed. Season, adding more salt/pepper if needed.
- Transfer stuffing to prepared dish and cover with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil, increase temperature to 425 degrees F. and bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown on top.
You can make this ahead of time for easy prep. Make as directed the day before, then cover with foil and chill in the fridge until ready to bake.
Keywords: thanksgiving, american, sidedish, stuffing