Vegan Chickpea Nuggets! Looking for soy-free nuggets? Try these! Chickpea and oat nuggets ! Crispy, browned nuggets that kids and adults will both LOVE. Adapted from The Kitchn
- 3/4 cups regular or panko breadcrumbs (can use gluten-free to make these nuggets gluten-free)
- 1 cup quick rolled oats (not steel cut)
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- olive oil or olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place the panko on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until toasted and golden-brown, about 5 minutes. Toasting the breadcrumbs keeps these nuggets golden brown, so don’t skip this steam. Transfer to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Place the oats in a food processor fitted with a blade and process into a fine flour. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain the chickpeas and reserve the liquid (or aquafaba). Add the drained chickpeas to the base of a food processor along with the salt, garlic powder, onion powder and poultry seasoning. Pulse the mixture together until very crumbly.
- Whisk 1/3 cup of the reserved chickpea liquid until foamy (save the rest!), then add to the food processor with the chickpeas along with 1/2 cup of the fine oat flour. Pulse together, adding a little more flour as needed until the mixture forms a ball (see the photo above for how the mixture should look. Take care not to overprocess too much; once it’s able to be pressed together it’s good.)
- Make the nuggets: remove ~1-2 tablespoons of the mixture and form into a nugget shape. I use this scoop to make the nuggets the same size. If your mixture is wet enough, then you can dip the nuggets directly into the breadcrumbs to coat. If not, then whisk the remaining aquafaba till it foams, then dip the nuggets into the aquafaba, then into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place nuggets onto a greased sheet pan (the one you used for the breadcrumbs is great) and continue with the rest of the nuggets. Drizzle with olive oil or lightly spray with an olive oil spray. This helps the nuggets crisp as they cook.
- Bake for ~15 minutes until crispy.
Keywords: kid friendly, kid food, vegan, nuggets