Vegan Chocolate Peppermint Cookies! These are the PERFECT cookie for your holiday gift exchange! Vegan chocolate peppermint cookies with crushed candy canes on top. Easy to make, no cutting or rolling required!
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (I use Earth Balance baking sticks)
- 1/3 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (unless using Earth Balance as it’s already salted)
- 2–3 tablespoons soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (vegan for dairy-free option)
- 1 candy cane, crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the butter and both sugars to a stand mixer fitted with a paddle or to a bowl and using an electric mixer. Cream together, then add in the vanilla and peppermint extracts and stir.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, if using, together. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then mix together until combined. Add in the chocolate chips and mix in.
- Add in the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until a thick dough forms. Be careful not to add too much milk, the dough will be very thick, but sticky enough to roll into balls.
- Roll into small bowls (I use a 1-tablespoon scoop) and space evenly on a baking sheet lined with either a silpat or parchment paper.
- Gently press down the balls, and top with a few extra chocolate chips. Bake for 10 minutes. The edges will be firm but the cookies will still be soft in the middle. They will firm up as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
- These will keep for 3-4 days on the counter and 2-3 weeks in the freezer!
- Sifting the cocoa powder and flour together is really important so the flour and cocoa doesn’t clump together. I use a sieve to quickly sift all of the powder/flour together.
Keywords: cookies, peppermint, chocolate, vegan, baking