Vegan Eggplant Meatballs with Creamy Lemon Sauce! Vegan eggplant meatballs served with a creamy lemon dipping sauce. Perfect as an appetizer, main dish or party food!
Vegan Eggplant Meatballs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 lb eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4– 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 cup canned white beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh Sunkist lemon zest + 1 tablespoon fresh Sunkist lemon juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, whole wheat, panko or regular
Vegan Creamy Lemon Sauce
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked in hot water at least 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Make the meatballs. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When hot, add in the eggplant along with 1/4 cup of water, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender- about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the remaining teaspoon olive oil to the same warm skillet along with the chopped onion. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes, then add in the garlic and cook until just fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add to the food processor along with the spices, beans, parsley, lemon zest and juice. Pulse about 8-10 times until well combined, but not pureed.
- Remove and place into a large bowl, then toss with the breadcrumbs. The mixture should easily hold together, but not be wet. Add more breadcrumbs if needed.
- Scoop ~1 1/2-2 tablespoons and roll into balls, then place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, you should have ~22-24 meatballs.
- Drizzle with olive oil then bake until firm and browned, about 25 minutes.
- Make the creamy lemon sauce. Place the the cashews, dill, nutritional yeast, water, salt, pepper and lemon juice into the base of a blender or food processor and puree until very creamy and smooth. Serve with the meatballs.
Keywords: vegan eggplant meatballs