Harvest Tofu Salad Sandwich! If you love Panera’s chicken salad sandwich, you’ve gotta try this vegan version! A tip for PERFECT chewy tofu that tastes just like chicken.
- 1/2 cup mayo (I prefer either Just Mayo or Hellman’s vegan mayo)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/3 cup sliced (or halved) seedless red grapes
- 1 package extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Press the tofu using a tofu press or by rolling it in paper towels and pressing a heavy object on top.
- Slice tofu into 4 slabs, then cut those into 8 slabs so you have thin strips. Add tofu to a glass baking pan along with vegetable broth, soy sauce, thyme, sage and a few cracks of fresh ground pepper. Bake for 25 minutes until tofu is golden brown, then set aside to cool.
- Once tofu is cool, tear into bite sizes pieces. I find that tearing creates better chunks rather than chopping into cubes, but do whatever is easiest for you.
- Toss cooled tofu chunks with mayo, celery and grapes, then season to taste, if needed, with salt and pepper.
- To serve, start with toasted bread, layer with lettuce (butter lettuce is my favorite here) and thin slices of tomato. Top with a scoop of salad and another piece of toasted bread. Enjoy immediately! Leftover salad will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Keywords: tofu chicken salad sandwich, easy vegan sandwich