I haven’t. A tragedy really, living as close as we will probably ever get to the islands, it just hasn’t happened yet.
No worries, doesn’t stop my from making Hawaiian treats, like mushroom poke, grilled pineapple, and now… Hulu Pie!
Actually, I only recently heard about Hulu pie, after flipping through this month’s issue of Food Network Magazine. In a roundup of favorite ice cream treats by state, the macadamia filled pie immediately caught my eye.
So, naturally, I made it. Dairy free and a smidge healthier. Yes, only a smidge. It’s still pie- there are only so many ways to make a cookie crust that taste good, and I’m yet to find a fudge sauce that doesn’t rely on added sugars.
So be it. Long live decadent desserts.
Go crazy. Go macadmia nuts. Go to Hawaii…. but if you can’t- enjoy this pie instead.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Vegan Hulu Pie! A vegan knock-off of the famous hawaiian recipe! Cookie crust, macadamia nut ice cream and hot fudge sauce.
- 1 cookie crust
- 1 recipe Macadamia Nut Ice Cream, recipe below
- 1 recipe Vegan Fudge Sauce, recipe below
Macadamia Nut Ice Cream:
- 1 full fat can (13.5 oz) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, raw
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup packed, pitted dates
Vegan Fudge Sauce:
- 1 1/4 cup canned coconut milk (not the beverage)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Slice the vanilla bean in 1/2 and scrape out the tiny seeds. Add to a high-powered blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Transfer to ice cream maker and follow your manufacturer’s directions.
- Whisk together the coconut milk and cocoa powder in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat. Keep whisking and increase the heat to medium. Coconut milk will curdle, so be careful.
- Whisk in the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Keep whisking until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, pour into a glass bowl and set in the fridge to firm up.
- Follow directions for cookie crust until formed in a springform pan. Place in freezer to harden, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, prepare the ice cream.
- Transfer the ice cream into a glass bowl and gently stir with a wooden spoon. Heap the ice cream onto the crust and spread a layer. Place back in the freezer until firm, about 2-3 hours.
- Make the hot fudge sauce. Once ice-cream has set, pour fudge on top. Place back in the freezer until hard, another 1-2 hours.
- Remove the pan from the freezer, gently run a pairing knife along the side of the cake to loosen. Open the sides of the springform pan and remove. Place on a platter or cake stand and garnish with chopped macadamia nuts.