Vegan lentil Nachos with quick cheese sauce. Taco lentil filling, simple cashew cheese sauce, roasted squash, guacamole and more! Vegan and gluten-free.
Lentil Taco Filling:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Quick Cheese Sauce:
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup Pacific Foods original cashew beverage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces cubed butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- pinch salt
Pico de Gallo
Pickled jalapeno slices, optional
For the taco filling:
- Heat a large deep skillet (or a large saucepan with deep sides) to medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds then add in the lentils, chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt.
- Mix so that everything is well coated, then add in the vegetable broth and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes until lentils are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
For the quick cheese sauce:
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and puree until creamy! This sauce will thicken up as it heats, so you can either keep running the blender to warm the sauce (My blendtec blender will do this on the ‘soup’ setting) or add to a small saucepan and warm over medium heat until thickened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste as needed with salt, sometimes I have to add a little more!
For the chili squash:
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat the squash with the oil and spices and place in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 30-45 minutes (depends on the size of the squash cube)
- Place the tortilla chips on a single layer, drizzle on the cheese sauce, top with squash, lentils, pico de gallo and guacamole.
Keywords: appetizer, nachos, vegan, glutenfree, healthy, snack