Vegan Mexican 7 Layer Dip! Refried black beans, quick vegan cheese sauce, guacamole, homemade pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, olives, and peppers! A must make for a healthy Superbowl!
I have been waiting for this weekend since the end of August. Most of the country is rejoicing because the biggest weekend of the year in sports is finally here. I’m ecstatic because it means that football season is finally over. Monday nights, Thursday nights, and Sunday’s are finally free of having a regularly programmed event.
Let’s all celebrate together with this easy layered vegan dip.
While I don’t understand the obsession with football (or most televised sports in general), I can completely get behind the idea of themed food. I’m still the gal who loves an organized spread as much as an overly cliche costume party, so when BL asks me for football-worthy food, I more than happily oblige.
Over the years we’ve settled on our favorites: buffalo cauliflower wings (and now lettuce wraps or sandwiches), spicy chorizo dip, pretzel bites, and what seems like everyone’s favorite, my vegan chili cheese dip. However, like any good food blogger, I need new. While I’m sure I’ll whip up one or two of those over the weekend, I wanted to create another game-watching appetizer to add to our collection.
This layer dip was born out of my need for easy, cheesy, and somewhat healthy. To cut down on the prep work, I’m using Pacific Foods Organic Refried Black Beans as my base. I love the flavor of these refried beans, heartier than traditional pinto beans, they impart a slightly smoky flavor throughout the entire dip. Of course, they are also beyond easy to use in just about anything. I open a container to fill burritos, tacos, casserole and soups just about weekly.
To continue with the love fest, I layered a simple vegan cheese dip, homemade pico de gallo, mashed avocados and more vegetables. This is the cheese dip I pull out on fast evenings, perfect for pouring over baked potatoes, steamed cauliflower or tossed with pasta. It’s not quite the same complex flavor as my other cheese dip, but it comes together in less time with half the ingredients.
If planning to bring this to a party, I recommend assembling all the ingredients right before serving.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Vegan Mexican 7 Layer Dip! Refried black beans,quick vegan cheese sauce, guacamole, homemade pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, olives, and peppers! A must make for a healthy superbowl!
- 1 container [url:1]Pacific Foods Organic Refried Black Beans[/url]
Quick Cheese Sauce
- 1 tbsp Earth Balance or other non-dairy buttery spread
- 1 tbsp all purpose flour (or other flour)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavoured almond milk (or more as needed to thin out)
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados
- 1 large lime, zest and juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Pico de Gallo
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of Cilantro (approx 1/2 cup), stems removed, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1-2 Jalapeno peppers or other hot pepper, finely chopped
- salt, to taste
- [b]2 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1/3 cup finely chopped cilantro[/b]
- Place the black beans in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1-2 minutes until hot.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and add in the flour. Whisk together until flour has been incorporated into the melted butter and cook until lightly golden brown and toasted, about 2-3 minutes
- Whisk in the unsweetened milk, stirring often and and cook until flour has dissolved and milk has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in the dijon mustard, garlic powder, onion powder and salt and pepper. Cook another minute and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the avocados, lime juice, and pinch salt in a bowl together and mash well with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- Make the pico de gallo. Stir together the tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice, jalapeno peppers and pinch of salt.
- Spread the refried beans in a serving platter or large plate.
- Top with cheese sauce, quick avocado, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, black olives and chopped cilantro.