Vegan Pumpkin French Toast! This fall-inspired french toast recipe is everything you want for brunch; tender pumpkin bread with a pecan caramel syrup on top.
Pumpkin French Toast
- 1 loaf french bread, sliced
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- Place the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, flax seed and vanilla in a blender and puree until creamy. Alternatively, whisk together in a large bowl.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and lightly grease with either coconut oil or non-dairy butter.
- Dip the bread slices into the pumpkin mixture and place into the greased skillet. Cook for ~2-3 minutes per side, until just golden brown on each side. Continue with the rest of the bread.
- Add the maple syrup and oil/butter to a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for ~5 minutes until mixture starts to lightly bubble and thicken. Add in the pecans and stir.
- To serve; divide french toast among 4-6 plates and drizzle with pecan caramel. Serve as-is or with more maple syrup!
PS! This recipe also makes an amazing overnight french toast casserole, like this one. To do; cube the bread and toss with pumpkin mixture and place in a lightly greased 9×12 casserole dish. Place in the fridge overnight. In the morning, bake for 30 minutes at 350F. Then, pour pecan caramel on top of casserole and place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes.
Keywords: pumpkin french toast