Vegan Tempeh Taco Bowl! These bowls are a MUST-MAKE. Spicy tempeh taco filling, farro, black bean and corn salsa, pickled radishes and a creamy avocado-jalapeno sauce.
Tempeh Taco Bowl
- 1 cup farro, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz. tempeh
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I used Trader Joe’s fire-roasted frozen corn)
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ½ each red onion, small
- 4 each radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 each lime
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ lime
- 1/2 – 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine farro and water in a pot, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for up to 30 minutes or until farro grains are tender.
- While farro is cooking, mix together corn, black beans, tomato, chopped cilantro, and juice from the lime. Season with salt, ¼ teaspoon of chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon of paprika. Set aside.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add minced garlic, stirring frequently to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Once garlic is fragrant and has some color, add tempeh. Use a wooden spoon to break tempeh into small pieces. Season tempeh with the remaining chili powder and smoked paprika, cayenne, and salt.
- Continue to cook tempeh until soft, about 10 minutes. A couple of tablespoons of water can be added to keep tempeh from drying out. While tempeh is cooking, combine ingredients for green sauce, except water, in blender.
- Add half of the water and blend on medium-high speed. Continue to add water until sauce has reached desired consistency. (I like this to be a thin guacamole.)
- Once farro and tempeh are cooked completely, combine with black bean salsa, and divide among 4 bowls. Top with green sauce, radishes and serve.