Vegetarian Bean Chili! This 3 bean chili recipe is so hearty and delicious, you won’t miss the meat! Ready in less than an hour, this chili beans recipe is healthy, vegan and gluten-free.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups diced white onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional, depending on heat preference)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (can go with less if you don’t want it very spicy; you can always add more. I find that 4T is perfect)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons white or apple cider vinegar
- Toppings of choice (I like sour cream, cheddar cheese and scallions)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, celery, peppers and sweet potato and cook until vegetables are very soft, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
- Add in the spices, beans, tomatoes and broth and reduce heat to low. Stir to combine, cover and simmer for at least an hour. Stir in the vinegar and let simmer another 10 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and top!
Keywords: vegetarian bean chili