A healthy take on chili and cornbread! Perfectly spiced vegetarian chili over creamy polenta. Vegan & Glutenfree from delishknowledge.com
- 3 cups soymilk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup corn meal
- 3 tbsp. dairy-free butter (I like Earth Balance brand)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 large can italian chopped tomatoes
- 1 large can tomato sauce
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Make the chili: Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped zucchini, green pepper, garlic cloves, jalapenos, and spices.
- Continue to cook on low for 10-15 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, and beans.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. If the chili becomes too thick, you can thin with a bit of vegetable broth.
- Make the polenta: Heat broth and milk over medium heat.
- When bubble start to surface, gently whisk in cornmeal and stir together.
- Reduce heat to low and let cook until thick, stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in butter and pinch salt/pepper.
- To serve: scoop polenta into a bowl. Top with chili. Garnish with your favorite toppings!