- 8 ounces penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups milk (see notes)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted (see notes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (depends on how spicy you like it)
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 3 links (~9 ounces) vegan Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup mozzerella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix all of the penne ingredients together, except for the spinach and cheese, in a large bowl and add to a 9×13″ casserole baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes until penne is al dente.
- Remove the foil (be careful!), stir, add in the spinach and stir again. Top with cheese and place back in the oven under the broiler. Let brown for 3-5 minutes, then remove from the oven and let stand for a few minutes so the sauce can thicken.
- I wanted to make this vegan and tried a version. I liked the vegetarian version posted here better, which is why I presented this one. However, to make it vegan, here’s what to do: use cashew milk instead of milk (I like cashew milk instead of soy when cooked; try Pacific Food’s, it’s so yummy!) For butter, use Earth Balance melted butter. Omit the cheese or use a non-dairy cheese instead.
Keywords: vegetarian, pasta, bake, penne, casserole