Fall Salad! Healthy, vegan. Israeli couscous tossed with roasted delicata squash, cranberries, pistachios, and pear. Maple Apple Dressing! | www.delishknowledge.com
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 Delicata squash, halved, seeds removed and sliced into 1/2 moons
- 1 1/4 cups israeli couscous
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 large pear, chopped
- 1/2 cup pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8th cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/8th cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- pinch salt/pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the squash halves with 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and pinch salt/pepper
- Place on a baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes. Flip, and cook an additional 10-15 minutes. Be gentle when turning the squash so they don’t turn to mush! Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the squash is cooking, heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan.
- Add the couscous and gently stir for 1-2 minutes until toasted and golden brown.
- Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes until liquid is absorbed and couscous is al dente. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Toss the cooled couscous with chopped parsley and rosemary. Gently stir in the pear, cranberries and pistachios.
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and olive oil. Pour over the couscous salad and toss to combine. Add in the squash and serve.
If you are making this salad for later, consider swapping in apple slices for the pear. While the pear is perfectly if immediately eaten, it doesn’t save well. For maximum flavor, toss with dressing right before eating. Again, if you are planning on making this for later, wait until you serve this salad to dress it.