Weeknight Tortilla Soup! This vegan tortilla soup is so delicious and packed with plant-based protein, fiber and vegetables. Healthy, filling a MUST-TRY!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced, for garnish
- 1 lime, plus more lime wedges for serving
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and pinch salt. Stir to combine and cook until onion is translucent and cooked down, about 7 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño peppers, carrots, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and cook another 5 minutes until carrot is tender.
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the tortilla topping.
- Heat the remaining Tablespoon oil in a cast-iron or non stick pan.
- Cut the tortillas into small strips and add to the hot pan. Cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- Squeeze the lime into the soup along with the chopped cilantro and stir, then laddle soup into bowls then top with crispy tortilla strips, diced avocado, lime wedge and more chopped cilantro, if desired.
Keywords: vegan tortilla soup recipe