Weeknight Tortilla Soup! This vegan tortilla soup is so delicious and packed with plant-based protein, fiber and vegetables. Healthy, filling a MUST-TRY!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz.) cans corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 corn tortillas, sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 large avocado, diced, for garnish
- lime wedges, for serving
- In a large sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, poblano pepper, garlic and pinch salt. Stir to combine and cook until onion is translucent and cooked down, about 7 minutes.
- Add the jalapeño peppers, carrots, cumin, and coriander. Stir together and cook another 5 minutes until carrot is tender.
- Add the corn, black beans, tomatoes, vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, make the tortilla topping.
- Heat the remaining Tablespoon oil in a cast-iron or non stick pan.
- Cut the tortillas into small strips and add to the hot pan. Cook until crispy, about 3-4 minutes, then remove and set aside.
- To serve, stir the cilantro into the soup, then laddle soup into bowls then top with crispy tortilla strips, diced avocado, lime wedge and more chopped cilantro, if desired.
Keywords: vegan tortilla soup recipe