White Pizza with Arugula for Two! This pizza is ready in just 30 minutes and serves 2.
It’s funny the traits that you pick up from your partner. After eight years together, I can almost finish BL’s sentences and repeat his signature, witty catchphrases so much that they’ve begun to sound like my own. In turn, he’s found a love for vegetables besides corn and potatoes, a soft-spot for perfectly cooked brownies and an obsession for planning and goal-setting.
BL has also turned me into a pizza-loving freak. I swear I can count on two hands the number of times I ordered pizza before meeting him (late-nights in college not withstanding). Now, we order or make pizza at least weekly. It’s hands down his favorite meal and has quickly become one of mine. Even though I always pair my slices with a large salad to up the nutrient-density, we still go through a lot of pizza.
This white version is my idea of portion control pizza + salad. It’s also homemade pizza without any real work. I found these frozen organic pizza crusts at Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago and love them. No rolling or stretching required, just thaw, top and bake. The thin, crispy crust is just the way I like my pizza and it’s small enough that I don’t bat an eye when BL and I polish off an entire one for dinner. A thinner crust is a great way to control caloric density, especially with a giant pile of nutrient-rich arugula on top.
Topping a freshly cooked cheese pizza with arugula salad is my idea of fancy. It takes all of ten seconds to throw together and makes this basic cheese pizza seem hip and boutique. The combination of cheeses was what I had available in my fridge, but this would also taste great with just some fresh mozzerella or even non-dairy cheese.
How could I forget that this pizza would work perfectly with any St. Pat’s celebration you’ve got planned for tonight? Since my love of Irish food doesn’t extend much beyond whiskey, I’m using the holiday as an excuse to enjoy an extra slice of peppery arugula pizza.
Oh, and this matcha-green beer (no artificial food coloring in sight).
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
White Pizza with Arugula for Two! This pizza is ready in just 30 minutes and serves 2. White Pizza with spicy arugula salad.
- 1 pizza crust (I used an Organic frozen crust from Trader Joe’s that serves 2)
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more or less)
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (see notes)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Thaw the crust and place on a cutting board lightly dusted with flour.
- Spread the ricotta cheese on the pizza crust along with a layer of thinly sliced tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Taking care not to burn yourself, transfer the pizza crust onto the pizza stone and cook for 12 minutes until golden brown.
- While the pizza is cooking, toss the arugula leaves with chili oil and salt and pepper.
- Pile the arugula on top of the cooked pizza and slice into 4 or 8 pieces. EAT.
For this pizza, I used an Organic frozen crust from Trader Joe’s that serves 2. If you use a larger crust or make your own, you will need to increase the amount of toppings. I used a red pepper chili oil for the salad, can sub another chili oil or good quality olive oil.
Other Pizza Recipes: