When I think of cornbread, I think of growing up in Virginia. My mom makes a really mean cornbread, especially in the summer with lots of fresh corn. I fondly remember getting really excited when chili was on the menu because that meant one thing… cornbread would be there too!
I have always been a carb loving gal.
When I was home for vacation last month, I couldn’t help but order a basket of fresh hushpuppies one night while we were out.
Hushpuppies = cornbreads deep fried, tasty cousin.
(Hushpuppies + sweet dipping sauce = the #3 reason I will probably move back to the East Coast)
I won’t publicly admit how many I ended up eating that night, but I will say that cornbread has been on my mind ever since.
And, since this is a healthy place, we are going to make-over said cornbread. Juicy wild-blueberries in place of a sweet dipping sauce. Heart-healthy flax seeds for the traditional butter and eggs. Baked, not fried. Sure, they are better for you but fret not- they are still the perfect combination of savory cornbread, delicate crumb, and slightly sweet.
I love the addition of wild blueberries to these muffins, they are the perfect addition yet at the same time, totally unexpected. Sweet + savory is a favorite pairing and these combine the two perfectly.
We are using frozen wild blueberries in this recipe for a few reasons. One, because frozen berries are available year round and they can be used right out of the freezer- no thawing required. Compared to regular blueberries, wild blueberries are also more intense in both flavor & color, perfect for beautiful muffins! Wild blueberries also contain less water, so they freeze better and perform better in baking.
If you have leftover berries after making these muffins, why not whip up a batch of my wild blueberry chia jam? So simple and only 3 ingredients needed.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and tag your Instagram photos with #delishknowledge . I absolutely love seeing your creations. Happy cooking!Print
Gluten Free and Vegan Wild Blueberry Corn Muffins! Healthy, delicious and perfect for breakfast!
- 1 tbsp. ground flax seed
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (like Bob’s Red Mill. Can use regular flour for non-GF version)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3/8 cup soy milk
- 1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line tin with muffin liners or grease a muffin tin.
- Combine lemon juice and soy milk together in a mug and set aside.
- Combine ground flax seed and water. Stir to combine and set aside. Mixture should gel after 5 minutes standing.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Add flax seed mixture, oil and water and stir until smooth.
- Gently add in frozen wild blueberries and stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, about 2/3 full.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool on rack.
By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.