You know what is getting me through all the holiday treats?
No, that’s not a typo. I have been eating a TON of Kale the last few weeks and I love how energized and happy it makes me feel! Kale salad, kale stir-fry’s, kale smoothies, I can’t get enough!
And it’s a good thing too. Considering how many sweets, glasses of wine, and decadent food I have otherwise been enjoying. I feel like the healthiest dietitian before 5 PM.
After 5PM? Let’s just say I’m glad I had a lot of kale earlier.
I love all the holiday treats, drinks & sweets but hate the way they make me feel the morning after. I swear I get a sugar hangover if I eat too many desserts. But, they are there and tis’ the season for enjoying friends & food!
If you’re feeling the same way, try focusing on meals you can control during this time, typically our breakfasts and lunches. Consume lots of vegetables, greens, fiber, and nutrients during these two meals and give yourself a break for the rest. This kale salad lasts for a few days in the fridge, perfect for making on Sunday night and consuming throughout the week.
Wild Rice & Kale Salad
Kale salad with wild rice & vegetables. Tossed with a lemon-dijon vinaigrette.
- 1 cup cooked & cooled wild rice
- 4 cups kale, torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1/8 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large lemon, juiced and zested
- Make the dressing: Combine lemon zest, minced garlic clove, lemon juice and dijon mustard in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Whisk for a few moments until the dressing comes together. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the kale, carrots, cabbage, and cranberries.
- Toss well with the dressing and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the wild rice and toss once more.