Coming in with something super easy for you today. A 20 minute vegan pasta with roasted red pepper sauce. This is the recipe you’ll want to save for nights when you are craving pasta, but don’t want to put in much effort.
The sauce comes together with a few pantry ingredients, then tossed with whole-wheat penne. Seriously, when I said this was easy, I meant it.
I always have a jar of roasted red peppers in my pantry; sliced they make for a great sandwich topping, pureed into hummus or thrown on a salad with olives and feta for a Mediterranean-inspired meal. They also make a great base for this pasta sauce. Roasted red peppers, milk, nutritional yeast and a little tahini for extra creaminess. Simmer until thickened and you’ve got a killer pasta sauce that’s ready in just 10 minutes.
I’m using the same technique in this pasta as I do for most of my pasta dishes, the secret for creating killer pasta that tastes like you got it at a fancy restaurant.
Here’s what you do. Cook the pasta until under al-dente, then add to the simmering sauce along with a little of the pasta water. Cook, stirring the entire time so the pasta soaks up the sauce and finishes cooking. As the pasta dries out, add a little more sauce, a spoonful or two at a time. This trick creates the silkiest, luscious pasta without having to use a ton of butter or cheese.
Vegan Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
20 minute pasta with roasted red pepper sauce! Need a quick, vegan pantry meal? Try this simple pasta with penne and a creamy, cheesy roasted red pepper sauce. Must try! Ready in just 20 minutes from start to finish.
- 1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red pepper, drained
- 3/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 12 ounces penne, regular or whole-wheat
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium heat.
- Place the drained roasted red peppers, soy milk, olive oil, salt, garlic, tahini, red pepper flakes and nutritional yeast in a blender and puree until creamy. Season to taste as needed with salt/pepper and add to a large skillet. Simmer over medium heat while you make the pasta.
- Place the pasta in the water and cook until under al-dente, about 1-2 minutes before the recommended time on the package. The pasta should be still pretty toothy, but not hard.
- Drain the pasta and reserve 1 cup pasta water. Add the pasta to the sauce on the stove and cook, adding a splash of pasta water at a time to loosen the sauce as needed as you toss the sauce with the pasta to finish cooking. Divide into 4 bowls and eat.
Serving Size 1/4th recipe
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Unsaturated Fat 9 g
Sodium 475 mg
Total Carbohydrates 72 g
Dietary Fiber 8 g
Sugars 7 g
Protein 8 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.